Bike and Pedestrian Improvement
- The river greenway trail system is expanded through the North
Macadam district on the west side and also extends on the east
side from the Steel Bridge north to the St. John's Bridge.
- Connections across the Willamette would be accommodated
on an enhanced Morrison Bridge and the lower level of the
new bridge planned in option B and C.
- A "bike highway" is shown running adjacent to I-84 and
connects the eastbank esplanade to the Gateway Transit Center.
Such a trail would open up a huge swath of Northeast Portland
for cyclists wishing to access downtown Portland in a fast,
efficient and safe manner.
- Bike lanes are added in the inner east side on NE 7th Avenue
(extending over a new bridge over the freeway), and 3rd Avenue
in order to connect the Burnside Bridge bike lanes to the Clinton
Street bike route through the inner east side.
- Pedestrian-oriented street enhancements are made on Hawthorne
Blvd., SE Taylor, SE Stark, and NE Davis Streets. Enhancements
that include wider sidewalks, new street trees, curb extensions,
and required active ground-floor uses will help connect the inner
SE and NE neighborhoods to the open spaces planned along the riverfront.